thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Help translation to thai

Given names, nicknames, boxing monikers, tattoos

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Help translation to thai

Postby vero » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi everyone!!
I´d be so grateful, if someone could help me with this cause I really don´t manage it :(
I need the translation of this book quote:
"For this is what we do. Put one foot forward and then the other. Lift our eyes to the snarl and smile of the world once more. Think. Act. Feel. Drag our shadowed crosses into the hope of another night. apush our brave hearts into the promise of a new day."

Thanks so much! You´d make my day :D
vero

Re: Help translation to thai

Postby Pirin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:59 am

vero wrote:Hi everyone!!
I´d be so grateful, if someone could help me with this cause I really don´t manage it :(
"For this is what we do. Put one foot forward and then the other. Lift our eyes to the snarl and smile of the world once more. Think. Act. Feel. Drag our shadowed crosses into the hope of another night. apush our brave hearts into the promise of a new day."

The word choice and the style show that what is said in this part is rather figurative. I don't think it is possible to get to its meaning without reading the book.

Too bad that it's a long one.
Pirin

Postby vero » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Pirin wrote:

The word choice and the style show that what is said in this part is rather figurative. I don't think it is possible to get to its meaning without reading the book.

I know it´s a long one :| but I really need some kind of translation, I cannot do it and dont really trust google translator!
vero

Postby David and Bui » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:17 pm

Vero,

Is this a religious statement?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby bifftastic » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:37 am

The problem with literary and poetic phrases like these is that the words evoke powerful sentiments in English because of the associations we attach to the words.

Like "Drag our shadowed crosses into the hope of another night" eludes to Christian-influenced references.

These references won't usually translate word for word into a language like Thai, because culturally, those references won't resonate in the same way at all.

An accurate translation would need to have much more context in order to even come close to carrying the meaning across.
bifftastic

Postby Pirin » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:47 am

vero wrote:
Pirin wrote:

I know it´s a long one :| but I really need some kind of translation, I cannot do it and dont really trust google translator!

Please donate 50,000 baht to charity. In such case, I will read those 933 pages of the book and translate the above sentences for you.

I'm not kidding.
Pirin

Postby vero » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:35 am

bifftastic wrote:The problem with literary and poetic phrases like these is that the words evoke powerful sentiments in English because of the associations we attach to the words.

Like "Drag our shadowed crosses into the hope of another night" eludes to Christian-influenced references.

These references won't usually translate word for word into a language like Thai, because culturally, those references won't resonate in the same way at all.

An accurate translation would need to have much more context in order to even come close to carrying the meaning across.

Ah yes, I got it. Well, thank you very much anyway for the help and axplaination :)
vero

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:09 am

David and Bui wrote:

Vero,

Is this a religious statement?

I doubt it. I can see the religious significance in "crosses' but 'shadowed crosses' ? It looks like only bad prose to me.
Don't you think it just says that every day is the same which has to endured until the comfort of a night's sleep. Then, "apush" ?
If the last sentence says anything it seems contradictory in saying that a new day is promising!
Tgeezer

Postby theoldman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:10 am

Hi vero,

I came cross this thread and would like to say somthing.
What our friends here tried to say is about its "context."
In your case, it was from Shantaram (A Novel by Gregory David Robertshere):

...you can change your life completely with a single thought or a single act of love.
'Well, I'm out of practice sleeping on the ground,' I said, smiling at Rukhmabai.
'You can have my bed,' Kishan offered.
'Oh no you don't!' I protested.
'Oh yes I do!' he insisted, dragging his cot from outside his hut to mine while Johnny, Jeetendra, and the others hugged and mock-wrestled me into submission, and our cries and laughter rolled away toward the time-dissolving everness of the sea.
For this is what we do. Put one foot forward and then the other. Lift our eyes to the snarl and smile of the world once more. Think. Act. Feel. Drag our shadowed crosses into the hope of another night. Push our brave hearts into the promise of a new day. With love: the passionate search for a truth other than our own. With longing: the pure, ineffable yearning to be saved. For so long as fate keeps waiting, we live on. God help us. God forgive us. We live on.

So, the context here is about "you can change your life completely with a single thought or a single act of love", right? A protagonist "I" decided to sleep on the ground but Kishan offered his bed and his cot. That was the single act of love that changed everything.
So, from this context, (yes, it might be another contexts, too, that's why you should post all of contexts concerned, at least in brief) the translation should be something like this:
เราก็ทำแบบนี้แหละ ลากเท้าข้างหนึ่งไปข้างหน้า แล้วตามด้วยอีกข้าง เงยหน้าสู้เสียงขู่คำรามและรอมยิ้มของโลกอีกครั้ง คิด ทำ รู้สึก ลากเงามืดไปสู่หวังของค่ำคืนใหม่ (และ) ดันหัวใจแกร่งกล้าไปสู่ของหวังของวันใหม่

P.S. Yes, "shadowed crosses" might has something to do with another context (s) which I don't know as I haven't read the book yet.
theoldman

Postby Tgeezer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:47 pm

montyb wrote:Hi vero,

I came cross this thread and would like to say somthing.
What our friends here tried to say is about its "context."
In your case, it was from Shantaram (A Novel by Gregory David Robertshere):

...you can change your life completely with a single thought or a single act of love.
'Well, I'm out of practice sleeping on the ground,' I said, smiling at Rukhmabai.
'You can have my bed,' Kishan offered.
'Oh no you don't!' I protested.
'Oh yes I do!' he insisted, dragging his cot from outside his hut to mine while Johnny, Jeetendra, and the others hugged and mock-wrestled me into submission, and our cries and laughter rolled away toward the time-dissolving everness of the sea.
For this is what we do. Put one foot forward and then the other. Lift our eyes to the snarl and smile of the world once more. Think. Act. Feel. Drag our shadowed crosses into the hope of another night. Push our brave hearts into the promise of a new day. With love: the passionate search for a truth other than our own. With longing: the pure, ineffable yearning to be saved. For so long as fate keeps waiting, we live on. God help us. God forgive us. We live on.

So, the context here is about "you can change your life completely with a single thought or a single act of love", right? A protagonist "I" decided to sleep on the ground but Kishan offered his bed and his cot. That was the single act of love that changed everything.
So, from this context, (yes, it might be another contexts, too, that's why you should post all of contexts concerned, at least in brief) the translation should be something like this:
เราก็ทำแบบนี้แหละ ลากเท้าข้างหนึ่งไปข้างหน้า แล้วตามด้วยอีกข้าง เงยหน้าสู้เสียงขู่คำรามและรอมยิ้มของโลกอีกครั้ง คิด ทำ รู้สึก ลากเงามืดไปสู่หวังของค่ำคืนใหม่ (และ) ดันหัวใจแกร่งกล้าไปสู่ของหวังของวันใหม่

P.S. Yes, "shadowed crosses" might has something to do with another context (s) which I don't know as I haven't read the book yet.

A review of this book "...the writing is superb..." Incredible!
Tgeezer

Return to Basic Translation