thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

"Moleskin"

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

"Moleskin"

Postby David and Bui » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Friends,

Thank you for reading and critiquing my translations; I would appreciate your commends and corrections on the following from a recent magazine article:

เคยนับไหมครับว่า ในชีวิตที่ผ่านมาคุณมีสมุดบันทึกทั้งหมดกี่เล่ม
Have you ever counted how many notebooks you’ve had in your lifetime?

ผมเป็นคนหนึ่งที่ชอบบันทึกความคิดและเรื่องราวต่างๆ ลงในสมุดเป็นอย่างมาก
I am a person who really likes to record my thoughts and various other matters in a notebook.

ถ้าให้นับตั้งแต่เกิดมาจนอายุยี่สิบปลายๆ ก็คงมีไม่ต่ำกว่าสิบเล่ม
If I start counting from when I was born until my late twenties, I guess I have not fewer than ten volumes.

น่าแปลกที่ผมยังเก็บสมุดเหล่านี้ทั้งหมดไว้อย่างดี
It’s strange that I have retained all these notebooks in such good shape.

จะให้ทิ้งได้อย่างไร เพราะมันคือชีวิตของผมชัดๆ!
How could I throw them away? They were a real reflection of my life.

สำหรับคนที่ชอบขีดชอบเขียนชอบคิดก็คงรู้สึกแบบเดียวกับผมว่า สมุดบันทึกไม่ใช่แค่กระดาษเย็บรวมกันเป็นปึกๆ
Those who like to scribble, like to write, and like to think probably feel as I do that a notebook is not merely a bunch of pages stapled together . . .

แต่คือเครื่องบันทึกความทางจำที่ใกล้ชิดกับเรามากที่สุด
. . . but is a tool for recording our closest memories.

สุข เศร้า หัวเราะ ร้องไห้ ดีใจ เสียใจ มีความรัก อกหัก โกรธแค้น ให้อภัย สมหวัง ท้อแท้ ฯลฯ ทุกความรู้สึกล้วนอัดแน่นอยู่ในสมุดเหล่านี้
Joy and sorrow; laughter and tear; happiness and sadness; love and heartbreak; anger and forgiveness; hope and hopelessness; and more; all of our emotions are crammed into these notebooks.

ทุกครั้งที่เราหยิบปากกาหรือดินสอจรดลงบนกระดาษนั้นให้ความรู้สึกราวกับว่าเรากำลังถ่ายทอดเลือดเนื้อและจิตใจของเราออกมาเป็นตัวหนังสือและรูปวาด
Every time we put pen or pencil to paper to put down our feelings is as if we are conveying our bodies and souls to words and pictures.

การเลือกสมุดบันทึกดีๆ สักเล่มจึงมีความสำคัญอย่างมาก
Choosing a good notebook is therefore very important.

ผืนผ้าใบมีความหมายกับจิตรกรฉันใด สมุดบันทึกก็มีคุณค่ากับนักเขียนฉันนั้น
1. Just as a canvas is important to an artist, so is a notebook of value to the writer.
2. As a canvas is meaningful to the artist, so a writer values his notebook.

ตอนเด็กผมก็ใช้สมุดธรรมดาๆ ของโรงเรียน
When I was young, I used a regular school notebook.

พอโตขึ้นมาหน่อยที่มีสตุ้งสตางค์ก็เริ่มเลือกชื้อสมุดที่มียี่ห้อดีๆ แตกต่างกันไป
Once I grew up and had some money, I began to buy different, higher quality brands.

แต่ผมเชื่อว่ามีสมุดบันทึกแบรนด์หนึ่งที่ใครๆ ก็ใฝ่ฝันอยากใช้ แม้ว่ามันจะมีราคาที่ค่อนข้างแพงก็ตาม
But, I believe that there is a brand of notebooks which anyone would dream of using, even though it is relatively expensive.

สมุดบันทึกนี้มีชื่อว่าโมลสกิน
The name of this notebook is “Moleskin”.

Thank you.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: "Moleskin"

Postby DonSena » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:14 pm

David and Bui wrote:Friends,

Thank you for reading and critiquing my translations; I would appreciate your commends and corrections on the following from a recent magazine article:

I am a person who really likes to record my thoughts and various other matters in a notebook.

If I start counting from when I was born until my late twenties, I guess I have not fewer than ten volumes.

สำหรับคนที่ชอบขีดชอบเขียนชอบคิดก็คงรู้สึกแบบเดียวกับผมว่า สมุดบันทึกไม่ใช่แค่กระดาษเย็บรวมกันเป็นปึกๆ
Those who like to scribble, like to write, and like to think probably feel as I do that a notebook is not merely a bunch of pages stapled together . . .

สุข เศร้า หัวเราะ ร้องไห้ ดีใจ เสียใจ มีความรัก อกหัก โกรธแค้น ให้อภัย สมหวัง ท้อแท้ ฯลฯ ทุกความรู้สึกล้วนอัดแน่นอยู่ในสมุดเหล่านี้
Joy and sorrow; laughter and tear; happiness and sadness; love and heartbreak; anger and forgiveness; hope and hopelessness; and more; all of our emotions are crammed into these notebooks.

ทุกครั้งที่เราหยิบปากกาหรือดินสอจรดลงบนกระดาษนั้นให้ความรู้สึกราวกับว่าเรากำลังถ่ายทอดเลือดเนื้อและจิตใจของเราออกมาเป็นตัวหนังสือและรูปวาด
Every time we put pen or pencil to paper to put down our feelings is as if we are conveying our bodies and souls to words and pictures.

1. Just as a canvas is important to an artist, so is a notebook of value to the writer.

Once I grew up and had some money, I began to buy different, higher quality brands.

แต่ผมเชื่อว่ามีสมุดบันทึกแบรนด์หนึ่งที่ใครๆ ก็ใฝ่ฝันอยากใช้ แม้ว่ามันจะมีราคาที่ค่อนข้างแพงก็ตาม
But, I believe that there is a brand of notebooks which anyone would dream of using, even though it is relatively expensive.

Thank you.

Might I recommend ...

3rd from very top:
เรื่องราวต่างๆ … various/different happenings

5th from top:
It’s surprising that I even made such a great/good collection of all these notebooks !

4th from top:
If I were to count from [the day of] my birth to my late twenties, I would likely [find I] have no fewer than ten of these.

9th from top:
สมหวัง ท้อแท้ ฯลฯ … hopes fulfilled, discouragements/disappointments and whatever else …

10th from top:
กำลังถ่ายทอดเลือดเนื้อและจิตใจของเราออกมาเป็นตัวหนังสือและรูปวาด
… transmitting/expressing our fleshly and mental selves as/in the form of written language and illustratons.

3rd from bottom:
ก็เริ่มเลือกชื้อสมุดที่มียี่ห้อดีๆ แตกต่างกันไป
… I began to pick out and buy [a number of] different good-quality brand-name notebooks.
DonSena

Postby David and Bui » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:06 pm

Thank you, Don.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:50 pm

David and Bui wrote:Friends,

Thank you.

[Those who like to scribble, like to write, and like to think probably feel as I do that a notebook is not merely a bunch of pages stapled together . . .]

=>
แต่(สมุดบันทึก) + คือ + เครื่องบันทึกความทางจำ + [ที่ใกล้ชิดกับเรามากที่สุด]
X = Y + [a phrase modifying X (as well as Y)]

Your first choice for this sentence means the same as, "The degree an artist values canvases and the degree a writer values notebooks are the same", I believe.

Pirin

Postby David and Bui » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:09 am

Thank you, Khun Pirin, for the comments.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby David and Bui » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:42 am

I very much appreciate Don's and Pirin's comments and suggestions. I would like to follow up a bit.

1. "4. น่าแปลกที่ผมยังเก็บสมุดเหล่านี้ทั้งหมดไว้อย่างดี"

Seems to me that the author using the phrase "ยังเก็บ. . . ไว้อย่างดี" is emphasizing longevity and preservation, rather than aggregation. Do I misunderstand the sentence?

2. ถ้าให้นับตั้งแต่เกิดมาจนอายุยี่สิบปลายๆ ก็คงมีไม่ต่ำกว่าสิบเล่ม
If I were to count from [the day of] my birth to my late twenties, I would likely [find I] have no fewer than ten of these.

Thank you, Don; my type on "not".

3. "… สมหวัง ท้อแท้ ฯลฯ … hopes fulfilled, discouragements/disappointments and whatever else …"

I was very impressed by the author's almost poetic listing of contrasting emotions. Is it your impression that the piece was originally written in Thai, or was the author translating from another language? I will change "hopes and hopelessness" to "hopes fulfilled and disappointments encountered" or "hopes fulfilled and hopes dashed" to retain the meter. Any other suggestions are welcome.

4. Khun Pirin: I do not understand
"แต่คือเครื่องบันทึกความทางจำที่ใกล้ชิดกับเรามากที่สุด
=>
แต่(สมุดบันทึก) + คือ + เครื่องบันทึกความทางจำ + [ที่ใกล้ชิดกับเรามากที่สุด]
X = Y + [a phrase modifying X (as well as Y)]"

Please help. Thanks.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:44 pm

... สมุดบันทึกไม่ใช่แค่กระดาษเย็บรวมกันเป็นปึก ๆ แต่คือเครื่องบันทึกความทางจำที่ใกล้ชิดกับเรามากที่สุด
=>
... a notebook is not merely a bunch of pages stapled together, but (it is) something we use to write down our memories; it is something that is always there with us.

In this sentence, the writer says that a notebook is meaningful to him in two ways: It is something he uses to write down his memories and something that is always there with him.

The phrase ที่ใกล้ชิดกับเรามากที่สุด doesn't modify the word ความทางจำ, but it modifies the word สมุดบันทึก as well as the phrase เครื่องบันทึกความทางจำ.
Pirin

Postby Pirin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:51 pm

น่าแปลกที่ผมยังเก็บสมุดเหล่านี้ทั้งหมดไว้อย่างดี จะให้ทิ้งได้อย่างไร เพราะมันคือชีวิตของผมชัดๆ!

The underlined part conveys just only one idea about how he has kept his notebooks.
Pirin

Postby David and Bui » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Pirin wrote:... สมุดบันทึกไม่ใช่แค่กระดาษเย็บรวมกันเป็นปึก ๆ แต่คือเครื่องบันทึกความทางจำที่ใกล้ชิดกับเรามากที่สุด
=>
... a notebook is not merely a bunch of pages stapled together, but (it is) something we use to write down our memories; it is something that is always there with us.

In this sentence, the writer says that a notebook is meaningful to him in two ways: It is something he uses to write down his memories and something that is always there with him.

The phrase ที่ใกล้ชิดกับเรามากที่สุด doesn't modify the word ความทางจำ, but it modifies the word สมุดบันทึก as well as the phrase เครื่องบันทึกความทางจำ.

Ah! I see now. Thanks!
David in Houston
David and Bui

Return to Advanced Translation