thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Chong Nonsi vs Chong Nontri

Vowel & consonant graphemes (letters), syllables, and orthography

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Chong Nonsi vs Chong Nontri

Postby Cerebrum » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:11 am

Im puzzled at the pronunciation of the BTS Station Chong Nonsi.

Nonsi is written as NonThRi, so the correct pronunciation should be NonTRi as opposed to Nonsi.

I asked a Thai woman about this and she said that indeed NonTRi would be correct, but in popular usage everyone says Nonsi.

Comments?
Cerebrum

Re: Chong Nonsi vs Chong Nontri

Postby mangkorn » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:02 am

The Thai woman may have misunderstood what you were asking. In some words, the and the paired together represent the ("s") sound, as in this case. The Royal Thai Dictionary lists นนทรี with the pronunciation guide /นน-ซี/

Your interlocutor might have thought you were asking if that was the proper way of transcribing it, in the Roman alphabet. Some would argue, I included, that transcription should reflect the way a word is pronounced. But Thais often try to find a corresponding letter in English for each Thai letter, in the above case the /t/ and /r/. This fails miserably because it guarantees that unsuspecting foreigners will mispronounce the words. Also, Thai consonants are pronounced differently when they come at the start of a syllable or the end. Thus, one sees such horrid abominations like "Sawasdee" all the time.
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Postby Rick Bradford » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:04 pm

It's not uncommon, either.

ทราย (sand), ทรง (maintain), ทราบ (know) are just a few of the better-known ones.

Are they originally loanwords.....?
Rick Bradford

Postby Pirin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:47 pm

นนทรี

Cerebrum wrote:Im puzzled at the pronunciation of the BTS Station Chong Nonsi.

Nonsi is written as NonThRi, so the correct pronunciation should be NonTRi as opposed to Nonsi.

I asked a Thai woman about this and she said that indeed NonTRi would be correct, but in popular usage everyone says Nonsi.

Comments?

จริ, ซร้, ทราบ, ทรุ, สรวง, สร่าง, ศร้, etc. are some examples of อักษรควบไม่แท้ (False Consonant Clusters).
http://www.thai-language.com/id/830222
Pirin

Postby Richard Wordingham » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Rick Bradford wrote:It's not uncommon, either.

ทราย (sand), ทรง (maintain), ทราบ (know) are just a few of the better-known ones.

Are they originally loanwords.....?

There are only a few P/S loanwords amongst them - possibly just ทรัพย์ 'wealth'.

ทราย is common Tai.

I haven't found any explanation for this cluster. I've wondered if it originated as a new consonant parallel to so so () but formed from to tahan () which was then misinterpreted as cluster, but I haven't found any evidence one way or another.
Richard Wordingham

Postby David and Bui » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:39 pm

The Thai "rules" on spelling and pronunciation regarding "ทร" can be found at several web sites. Here is one: http://www.sahavicha.com/?name=blog&fil ... log&id=708

ในภาษาไทยมีคำอยู่จำนวนหนึ่งที่ออกเสียง ซ แต่เขียนเป็น 2 รูป คือ และ ทร หลักการใช้มีดังนี้

5.1 คำไทยแท้ที่ออกเสียง ซอ มักใช้ " " เช่น ซด ซน ซบ ซอก ซ่อน ซอง ซ้อม ซอมซ่อ ซัก ซับ ซาก ซาบซ่าน ซี่ซอกแซก ซับซ้อน ซัดเซ ซ้ำซาก ซุบซิบ ซึบซาบ แซม แซงแซว โซเซ เป็นต้น

5.2 คำที่รับมาจากภาษาเขมรซึ่งภาษาเดิมใช้ ชร ไทยเราใช้รูป ทร และออกเสียง " ซอ " เช่น ทรง ทรวงทราม ทรุดโทรม ไทร แทรก เป็นต้น

5.3 คำที่รับมาจากภาษาสันสกฤตซึ่งภาษาเดิมใช้ ทร ไทยใช้รูป ทร และออกเสียง " ซอ" เช่น ทรัพย์ อินทรีย์ พุทรา นนทรี มัทรี เป็นต้น

5.4 คำที่รับมาจากภาษาต่างประเทศอื่นๆ ที่ออกเสียง ซอ ใช้ ซ เช่น
ภาษาจีน เซ้ง ซวย ซินแส แซยิด ซาลาเปา เซียน เซียมซี ฮวงซุ้ย ฯลฯ
ภาษาชวา ซ่าโบะ ( ผ้าห่ม ) ซ่าหริ่ม ฯลฯ
ภาษาอังกฤษ ซอส เซลส์ ซิการ์ ซิป เซ็น ซิกแซ็ก ซีเมนต์ เซรุ่ม ซัลฟา โซดา ไซเรน ไซโล เซลเซียส ฯลฯ

These rules come under the category of "totally correct, but not very useful". For those of us who struggle to learn the language, trying to interpret correct soundings based on a word's etymology is somewhat beyond the pale. Great rules for academic linguists, polyglots, and polymaths; not very helpful for others.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Tgeezer » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:51 am

Cerebrum wrote:Im puzzled at the pronunciation of the BTS Station Chong Nonsi.

Comments?

My comment would be that these words are few in number, seventeen was one estimation, so they are soon learnt.
นมทรี is the name of a tree by the way. I think that if you can find out their meanings, names become memorable; you can while away the time on the BTS doing it.
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Postby Natapol » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:37 am

ทร บางตัวก็ไม่ออกเป็นเสียง ซ เช่น จันทรา นิทรา (ออกเสียงควบกล้ำ/ควบแท้)
ถามว่ามีหลักเกณฑ์อะไรไหม ขอตอบว่า ไม่มี หรือไม่ทราบครับ คนไทยจะคุ้นเคยและใช้ไม่ผิด แต่ต่างชาติต้องจำอย่างเดียวครับ เหมือน ข้อยกเว้นต่างๆ ในกฏแกรมม่าภาษาอังกฤษ ที่ฝรั่งก็บอก ก็มันใช้แบบนี้อ่ะ ไม่รู้เหมือนกัน

I prefer the way of writing English in the sound of Thai pronunciation. So everyone will pronounce correctly.
I really hate the way of writing to match with ไทย หรือ สันสกฤต writing e.g. Suvarnabhumi
คนไทยครับ
Natapol

Postby Richard Wordingham » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:51 pm

David and Bui wrote:The Thai "rules" on spelling and pronunciation regarding "ทร" can be found at several web sites. Here is one: http://www.sahavicha.com/?name=blog&fil ... log&id=708

The rule given is actually about how to write low /s/. It is not a rule about about pronouncing "ทร".
David and Bui wrote:These rules come under the category of "totally correct, but not very useful". For those of us who struggle to learn the language, trying to interpret correct soundings based on a word's etymology is somewhat beyond the pale. Great rules for academic linguists, polyglots, and polymaths; not very helpful for others.

"Largely correct", not "totally correct" - note ทราย 'sand', which appears to be a native word.

What do you mean by 'interpret correct soundings'? If you mean working out the pronunciation, a classification of a word as P/S or non-P/S is a natural part of the process. In blue words, "ทร" represents /s/. When writing, an idea of the etymology is often necessary, and the rule that low /s/ is spelt "ทร" may be useful.
Richard Wordingham

Return to Reading, Writing, Spelling, and Tone Rules