thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Introducing myself

Tell us about yourself, your interest in the Thai language, or just say 'Hello!'

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Introducing myself

Postby tomnicholson » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:55 am

Hello Everyone,
I am an Australian, 55 years of age, currently residing in Pattaya having been here, this time around, for five weeks on top of several brief visits previously.The occasional sea breeze is worth it's weight in gold in the hot season ! All up I would have spent very close to four years in Thailand. I lived in Chiangmai for almost all of that time.I first visited Chiangmai in 1977 when I was 21- a wonderful backpacking experience. My Thai language ability is negligible. I have in the past made some concerted, unsuccessful efforts to learn Thai. I enrolled in a language school and obtained a study visa when I commenced my extended stint in CM about 6 years ago. It was an immersion type program and I attended private classes for two hours a day, five days a week, for several months or so. I also did 2-3 hours of homework every week-day night in preparation for class the next day. It was a bad method. I was overwhelmed, pushed too far too fast and I did not succeed in creating a workable approach to exploiting my everyday experience to benefit my learning. That bit was my fault. Too many acquaintances who preferred to speak in English and generally a pretty crappy lifestyle. Anyway, later, having dropped my Study Visa, which they were often called then, I had a couple of goes at Introductory Thai at CM Uni which was a very good short course. I also used Becker's Thai for Beginners which I found really good. However, I did not consolidate and, long story short, eventually gave up.
I did a BA at Sydney University many moons ago majoring in English while also studying Linguistics, French and Indonesian Language and Culture. So I have some experience with studying languages but by no means do I consider myself an expert. Overall, I think common sense largely dictates what is effective but of course that will always be a matter of opinion. Currently I am recommencing my study of the Thai language primarily with the online program HighSpeedThai. It is an approach which makes sense to me. I will also use Becker as an adjunct along with attending classes at the North Star Library which is attached to the Father Ray Foundation Redemptorist Vocational School for the Disabled here in Pattaya. In large part I will attend those classes to socialize and to fill my day with wholesome activities as much as possible ! I'm tired just thinking about it - time for a beer ! :shock: Just kidding. I am really looking forward to studying again particularly as I am most impressed with the HST approach ( that's not a plug, I am just saying ). With some concerted effort I can definitely see myself making some meaningful progress this time around and that motivates me a lot after more than a few false starts.
Well, that was a bit long-winded. In closing I must add that this website is most impressive and I think it will play a big part in inspiring me to making a big effort this time around.
I
tomnicholson

Re: Introducing myself

Postby homeextensionsperth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:43 am

I’m Devan McGuinnes and also is a article writer residing and also loving in Southern California. Any time I’m not attempting to constructed your site ranking you will find my personal blogging at Nu Studio. As the happy mommy associated with a couple of boys and a website,Nu studio, I hardly ever combine accurate tales of parenthood and madness along with my schooling inside Youngster Improvement. Via everything Devan stays committed to having excellent hair and not ever letting you know the way to mother or father your personal children.

[edit: advertising material removed]
http://www.nustudio.com.au
homeextensionsperth

Re: Introducing myself

Postby claude06thailand » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:50 am

Welcome to this site, Tomnicholson, and thank you for your detailed introduction.
I think that you have a clear view of your problems in learning Thai and many foreigners have had about the same experience, starting and stopping many times.
As you probably know, since you have studied a few languages before, there is a rather long period when you think you are learning a lot and not improving much. which brings to loose confidence and give up.
Another point is that you have to find which is the right method for you.
Now that your are rather clear about all that, I think you can succeed if you are not too impatient. And what you have learned before will certainly be useful.
May I add that Pattaya is not the best place to practice Thai ? I have found that most Thai there don't want to speak Thai with foreigners and will answer in (broken) English. Even when I tell them I am French and don't understand English, they will still be reluctant to speak Thai... On the contrary, in Bangsaen where I live, Thais are happy to speak Thai with me.
Anyway, I wish you good luck and much fun in learning.
if you have any questions, there will be quick answers on this site from a few people, among them Thai experts, and it is a great help indeed.
Cheers, Claude
claude06thailand

Return to Guestbook and Introductions