thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Thai Idioms, similes, and metaphors

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Thai Idioms, similes, and metaphors

Postby David and Bui » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:05 am

Friends,

English is rich in similes, metaphors and idioms involving animals, such as, "the fox in the hen house"; "a wolf in sheep's clothing"; "smart like a fox"; "the fog comes on little cat feet"; "the elephant in the room"; "the moose on the table"; "jump the shark"; "codpiece"; "to tuna radio"; "to do something just for the halibut"; and, so many more.

Thai, likewise, is rich in animal references. Let's just look at a few of these:

1. พูดงู ๆ ปลา ๆ - "to speak only the very rudiments of a language"
2. ขี่ช้างจับตั๊กแตน - "to use an inordinate amount of effort or force to accomplish a small objective."
3. ดูช้างให้ดูหาง ดูนางให้ดูแม่ - "Like mother, like daughter."
4. ปลาขึ้นบก - "like a fish out of water" (ผิดที่ผิดถิ่น)
5. เสือสิงห์กระทิงแรด - "wily, old jackals; tough negotiators;experienced con men"
6. เสือนอนกิน - "independently wealthy person; person living off investments"
7. เสือกระดาษ - "paper tiger"
8. แมงดา - "pimp, gigolo"

Can you think of any others?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: Thai Idioms, similes, and metaphors

Postby mangkorn » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:07 am

Edited to add Western equivalents:

ซนเหมือนลิง - (Mischievous as a monkey)

ขยันเหมือนมด - (Diligent as an ant)

โง่เหมือนควาย - (Stupid as stone)

แมลงเม่าบินเข้ากองไฟ - (Like moths to a flame)
Last edited by mangkorn on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Postby Rick Bradford » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:25 am

กาเข้าฝูงกา หงส์เข้าฝูงหงส์ = Birds of a feather flock together.
เข้าฝูงหงส์ก็เป็นหงส์ เข้าฝูงกาก็เป็นกา = Who keeps the company with the wolf will learn to howl.
ช้างสาร งูเห่า ข้าเก่า เมียรัก อย่าได้ไว้ใจนัก = Never trust a sleeping dog, a swearing Jew, a praying drunkard, or a weeping woman
ดูช้างให้ดูหาง ดูนางให้ดูแม่ - Like mother, like daughter
ตีวัวกระทบคราด = Beat the dog before the lion.
Rick Bradford

Postby mangkorn » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:49 am

If the thread is meant to also include proverbs, the list could go into the hundreds.

A few common ones invoking just tigers:

ใจดีสู้เสือ
ชาติเสือไม่ทิ้งลาย
หน้าเนื้อใจเสือ
เสือซ่อนเล็บ
หนีเสือปะจระเข้

Not sure if those would be categorized along with similes, though.
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Postby Rick Bradford » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:04 am

Ah, sorry, I saw the word 'idiom' in the OP, and thought ....
Rick Bradford

Postby David and Bui » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:06 am

My thought? Include them all! Similes, metaphors, idioms, proverbs, sayings are all welcome.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby tod-daniels » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:22 am

Rick, I think the idiomatic expression กาเข้าฝูงกา หงส์เข้าฝูงหงส์ carries a much more "class oriented" meaning than the English "birds of a feather" one... I believe it draws parallels to social standing. From reading the idioms it appears that the Thais have a thing for the กา's and the หงส์'s as comparatives in regards to one's social status. One more I found which further illustrates the class-ism is กาจะมาเปรียบพญาหงส์ผู้ต้อยต่ำไม่อาจเปรีบกับผู้สูงส่ง

When thai kids are playing a little too boisterously in say a food court or some other public place where that kind of play is frowned upon, I've heard Thais say to them, "อย่าซนยังกะลิง". . . I think in English (at least when I was growing up way back when) it's close to the meaning of what my grandmother would say when we were a little outta hand, "Stop runnin' around like little Indians!"

I found both กุลาบริมทาง and ดอกไม้ใกล้ทาง with the meaning หญิงใจง่าย. I found ไก่อ้อน for someone who is inexperienced in the way things are.

Because Thais have no reticence talking about bodily functions (as opposed to westerners) I totally luv some of their idioms. Scared sh*tless - ขี้หดตดหาย or ขี้ขึ้นไปอยู่บนหัว, ขี้ขึ้นสมอง.. When something happens really fast, it's ตดไม่ทันหายเหม็น. Another one I'm tryin' is ตดก่อนขี้ which is บุคลที่ชอบพูดอวดตัวให้คนอื่นฟังโดยที่ตนเองยังไม่ได้ลงมือทำ almost like an "armchair quarterback" or nowadays a “Google expert”. Their stingy ones aren't bad either ขี้ไม่ให้หมากิน wouldn’t feed his own sh*t to a dog. The ever popular ขี้หมูราขี้หมาแห้ง for เรื่องไร้สาระ or a "cock and bull story"...
I like ไม่ใช่ขี้ไก่ - isn't chicken sh*t and use it a lot when someone isn't quite paying enough attention to what I want or what I'm asking them. เรื่องนี้มันไม่ใช่ขี้ไก่ - This ain't a small thing..

Not surprising there are a TON of idioms which relate to eating;
กินแกงเมื่อร้อน – almost exactly a match for “strike while the iron is hot”
กินเหมื่อนแมวดมกินน้อยมาก
กินเป็นจระเข้ – eat like a crocodile (wolf down the food w/out tasting it)
กินเผื่อหมากินมากจนอวก (eat until you puke)
กินเมีย - มีเมียกี่คน ๆ ก็ตายจากไปก่อนหมด
กินเส้น and it's opposite ไม่กินเส้น get along well/don't get along well

I like the idiomatic expressions which equate color (light/dark) to someone's behavior or character;
ดำเหมือนอีกา - black as a crow
ขาวเหมือนปุยฝ้าย - white as a cotton ball (pure as the driven snow)

In talking to the Thais Soi side it would appear these comparatives are not about a person's complexion (light or dark). I found IF you put ผิว in front of either idiom it does warp the meaning towards a comparative in complexion but they have their own about that too; ดำตับเป็ด, ดำเป็นดินปืน, ดำเป็นเหนี่ยง - black as chicken liver, black as gunpowder, black as a diving beetle... Along with; ขาวราวกับหยวก, ขาวเหมื่อนสำลี and ขาวเป็นวอก - white as the pith of a banana tree, white as a cotton ball and lastly white as something which I haven't quite worked out yet. . .

Their lazy idioms are good too ขี้เกียจเหมื่อนแมลงวัน, ขี้เกียจจนตัวขึ้นขน, ขี้เกียจสันหลังยาว - lazy as a house fly, lazy until you grow fur on your body, lazy to the point your spine lengthens from lyin' around.

Quite honestly, I have found studying the books I have on idioms and expressions in Thai are the most enjoyable time I've spent studying this language in the last 5 years!

Sorry for the rambly long post.. :oops:
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby David and Bui » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:33 am

And, the particularly gruesome "เชือดไก่ให้ลิงดู" (to exact public punishment on someone; cause fear among the public by singling out a few for punishment)
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby keith » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:10 am

David and Bui wrote:Friends,

English is rich in similes, metaphors and idioms involving animals, such as, "the fox in the hen house"; "a wolf in sheep's clothing"; "smart like a fox"; "the fog comes on little cat feet"; "the elephant in the room"; "the moose on the table"; "jump the shark"; "codpiece"; "to tuna radio"; "to do something just for the halibut"; and, so many more.

David, I too love reading and learning Thai idioms etc. Though my knowledge of Thai is not advanced enough to add much to the general thread. I was interested though, in some of the US English phrases that you quoted. Though most seem to be easily understandable, I am puzzled by:-
"jump the shark";
"to tuna radio"; I suppose this is just a word play on "tune a"
but I dont think you can include "codpiece"
codpiece (n.) mid-15c., "a bagged appendage to the front of the breeches; often conspicuous" [OED], from Old English codd "a bag, pouch, husk," in Middle English, "testicles" (common Germanic, cf. Old Norse koddi "pillow," Dutch kodde "bag") + piece (n.).

Sorry to seem "nit-picking" A really interesting thread
keith

Postby David and Bui » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:26 am

keith wrote:David, I too love reading and learning Thai idioms etc. Though my knowledge of Thai is not advanced enough to add much to the general thread. I was interested though, in some of the US English phrases that you quoted. Though most seem to be easily understandable, I am puzzled by:-
"jump the shark";
"to tuna radio"; I suppose this is just a word play on "tune a"
but I dont think you can include "codpiece"
codpiece (n.) mid-15c., "a bagged appendage to the front of the breeches; often conspicuous" [OED], from Old English codd "a bag, pouch, husk," in Middle English, "testicles" (common Germanic, cf. Old Norse koddi "pillow," Dutch kodde "bag") + piece (n.).

Sorry to seem "nit-picking" A really interesting thread

Good question! "Jump the shark" is an Americanism of recent vintage. See http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... he%20shark

As for the others you mentioned, I wanted to see if anyone was paying attention. The tuna and the cod? Totally bogus. "Doing something just for the halibut" is yet another bad pun.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Next

Return to Advanced Translation