thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

เม้มปาก

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

เม้มปาก

Postby David and Bui » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:17 pm

Friends,

I am trying to understand the meaning and usage of the verbal phrase “เม้มปาก”. Lexitron says to “compress one's lips; fold down one's lips; press one's lips together”. Domnern Sathienpong says “to purse the lips, compress the lips”. I suspect that there is a communications content in this gesture but I don’t know what it is. For example, the phrase might mean “to compress one’s lips into thin line as an indication of barely suppressed anger”; or, “to purse one’s lips in a gesture of contemplation”; or some other meaning.

Here is a sentence from ไทยรัฐ (1 สิงหาคม 2551) where “เม้มปาก” is coupled with “ขมวดคิ้ว” (to frown; to knit one’s eyebrows):

ผู้สื่อข่าวรายงานบรรยากาศในห้องพิจารณามาถึงตรงนี้ คุณหญิงพจมานถึงกับนั่งก้มหน้าเครียด ส่วน พ...ทักษิณนั่งเม้มปากขมวดคิ้วแน่น

“Newsmen described the atmosphere in the courtroom as follows: ‘Khun Ying Phojaman sat with her head bent down in consternation; as for Pol. Col. Thaksin, he sat [and listened] with compressed lips and knitted brow’.”

What do you think?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: เม้มปาก

Postby simonbournemouth » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:28 am

Hi David,

Here's another example of the use of เม้ม and ปาก from แฮร์รี่ พอตเตอร์ กับ ศิลาอาถรรพ์;

"นี่อะไรฮะ" เขาถามป้าเพ็ตทูเนีย ปากป้าเม้มสนิทเหมือนทุกคราวที่เขากล้าตั้งคำถาม

Here's my attempt at a translation, someone please help me word it better;

"What's this?" He asked Auntie Pettunia. Auntie kept her mouth tightly shut, as she does everytime he's brave enough to ask questions.

In this sentence I think the combination of the words ปาก and เม้ม mean to press the lips together in order to show that one refuses to answer the question. Possibly the same applies for the Thaksin sentence?
simonbournemouth

Postby David and Bui » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:49 am

Thank you, Simon. That sounds good; you remembered the source of the quote? Good for you!

For the Thaksin story, I suspect that the tight-lipped expression was meant to denote "brave chagrin." But, maybe, all emotions which can be associated with tightening of the lips are possible, depending on the context.

Thanks again.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Nan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:00 am

คุณเดวิดคะ

กริยาเม้มปากนี่ ส่วนมากมักจะกระทำเมื่อเกิดความโกรธ โมโห หรือไม่พอใจอะไร บางครั้งก็จะกระทำเมื่อต้องครุ่นคิดถึงสิ่งใดที่ค่อนข้างคร่ำเครียด ชวนกังวล

ผู้สื่อข่าวรายงานบรรยากาศในห้องพิจารณามาถึงตรงนี้

ในส่วนนี้หมายถึง ผู้สื่อข่าวรายงานบรรยากาศในห้องพิจารณา ณ ขณะนั้น เมื่อการพิจารณามาถึงจุด ๆ หนึ่งในเวลานั้น คือพอคุณหญิงพจมานกับคุณทักษิณได้ฟังการพิจารณามาถึงตรงนั้น ทำให้คุณทักษิณนั่งเม้มปากขมวดคิ้วแน่น (อาจด้วยความเครียด ไม่พอใจ และกังวลถึงผลที่จะออกมา ซึ่งพอจะคาดเดาได้ว่า เป็นไปในทางที่ไม่น่ายินดี) ส่วนคุณหญิงก็นั่งก้มหน้าเครียด(อาจเป็นเพราะรู้ หรือกังวลว่าผลจะออกมาอย่างไร)
Nan

Return to Advanced Translation