thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

น้ำหนัก

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: น้ำหนัก

Postby R.E.G. » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:14 am

R.E.G. wrote:
aanon wrote:Yes, R.E.G., it seems that in most of these cases เอา is used after the verb which describes the negative consequence of a stated or implied action. However, there are also the examples about death (and USB port failure) coming totally out of the blue, so maybe it's not a rule without exception.

My post was about not reading more into it, my reasoning being that if Nan did not feel it then it probably didn't exist.
More context:
ในห้องประชุมที่สำนักงานในกรุงเทพฯ ทีมผู้กล้าสามพี่น้องได้ช่วยกันหาขอ้มูลกิจกรรมต่าง ๆ ไว้มากมาย แล้วเราจะไปดูกัน ว่าการเที่ยวคราวนี้จะเป็นอย่างไรบ้าง แต่ดูจากพลังที่เหลือเฟือของทั้งสาม ทริปนี้น่าจะเหนื่อยแน่ คณะเรามาถึงที่อ่าวนาง จ.กระบี่เอาเมื่อตอนบ่ายสามโมงแล้ว
In the office in Bangkok the intrepid team of siblings (they are twin girls and a brother) researched all the many details of their assignment in order to decide what it would be like this time. It seems that in spite of excessive energy possessed by all three this trip looks like it will be very tiring.
When we arrived at 'Nang Bay Grabby' it was already three in the afternoon. Is it a conjunction ขณะ.....เอา......แล้ว ?
Any answers?
Looking at that you see that they were expecting the trip to be เหนื่อย ! This is what I mean about flexible Thai; an adjective รู้สึกอ่อนแรงลง applied to a thing, exactly as it would be in English, but not as per RID, แต่ดูจาก I had to make this mean 'inspite of' maybe you can fit something else.

Edit: I had to return to correct a few spelling mistakes 'tireing', for one and then found that it doesn't exist in my OED (over 20 years old) so I would change it to 'exhausting', then I found 'tiring' in my River Books T/E ทำให้เหน็ดเหนื่อย where as exhausting is ทำให้เหนื่อย so still think that it should be 'exhausting'.
Party pooper.
R.E.G.

Postby Nan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:26 pm

aanon wrote:อย่าคลิกเข้ามานะ จะโดนด่าเอา
Don't click to enter: you'll end up getting told off.
[Nan: I think that this is currently my clearest example of a sentence in which the cause (คลิกเข้ามา) is not continuous or habitual. I will have to look for some more.]

Khun Aanon kha,

I agree with you. There is another case which is used as a negative consequence after warning.

For examples;

ห้ามแหย่สุนัขเล่นนะ มันจะกัดเอา

เวลาผู้หญิงพูดอะไร ห้ามเถียง เดี๋ยวคุณเธอจะงอนเอา :D
Nan

Postby David and Bui » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Would these translations of Khun Nan's sentences be adequate?

ห้ามแหย่สุนัขเล่นนะ มันจะกัดเอา
"Don’t tease the dog; [if you do] it will bite you."

เวลาผู้หญิงพูดอะไร ห้ามเถียง เดี๋ยวคุณเธอจะงอนเอา
"Whenever a woman says something, don’t argue with her; [if you do] she will sulk for days."

or, to use a direct object in English as is used in the Thai sentence,
"Whenever a woman says something, don’t argue with her; [if you do] she will find a way to get back at you." or,
" . . . [if you do] she’ll get even with you." or
" . . . [if you do] you will become the object of her petulance. "

And, should the following be added to the dictionary: "เอา – [an aspect marker used to indicate a negative consequence affecting someone or something]"?

What do you think?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby jariya76 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:23 am

David, In this sense เอา almost has the sense of เอาคืน, doesn't it? "Do this and it will take its revenge on you."
jariya76

Postby David and Bui » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:02 am

Good one; thanks.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby aanon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:00 am

Nan, thanks for adding that response. I think we've reached a consensus.

David, how about:

เอา - may be used as an aspect marker

1) after a verb to indicate that the verb is being performed intensely, with concentration, repeatedly, continuously, etc. or
2) after a verb with a negative meaning (most commonly seen in sentences which warn about possible negative consequences)

What do you think?
aanon

Postby Glenn Slayden » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Nan wrote:... เดี๋ยวคุณเธอจะงอนเอา

May I speculate that เอา here marks the instrumental case, indicating คุณ as the causative agent of the conditional action เธอจะงอน. It seems similar in function the Thai purposive-benefactive (Iwasaki 2005: 342)

เดี๋ยวคุณจะทำให้เธองอน (sorry if this isn't exactly correct)

[edit: ignore this post, see below]
Glenn Slayden
Site Admin

Postby aanon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:59 am

Glenn, forgive me if I have interpreted your post wrongly but you seem to be breaking คุณเธอ up into คุณ and เธอ and reading them as 'you' and 'she' respectively.

In this sentence คุณเธอ refers to 'she' only. คุณ is used like a title. To me, คุณเธอ sounds a little posher (possibly in a humorous way) and a little more 'precious' than เธอ. It would be interesting to ask Nan for her feelings/associations when she hears the term คุณเธอ.
aanon

Postby Nan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 am

aanon wrote:In this sentence คุณเธอ refers to 'she' only. คุณ is used like a title.

That's correct. ถูกต้องค่ะ คุณเธอ เป็นคำเรียกผู้หญิง เป็นสรรพนามบุรุษที่ 3 ใช้เรียกเวลาที่เราเกิดอาการหมั่นไส้ผู้หญิงคนนั้นเล็ก ๆ

I often address a girl คุณเธอ when I feel dislike that girl, it's not so strong as 'hate', ไม่ถึงขั้นเกลียด แค่หมั่นไส้ :D

Sometimes, it's used among guys when they are gossiping the girls. :roll:
Nan

Postby Glenn Slayden » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Oh wow, thanks for the clarification! Totally didn't see that and it makes total sense :oops: :oops:
Glenn Slayden
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Translation